INBA Legislative Agenda Items
LGBT Focused Policies
- Social Security and Marriage Equality (SAME) Act of 2014:
Amends the Social Security Act to grant survivor benefits to legally married same-sex couples.
- International Human Rights Defense Act of 2014:
Directs Secretary of State to establish a special envoy for the human rights of LGBT people who will lead efforts to address human rights abuses against the LGBT community internationally and advance LGBT rights in United States foreign policy.
- Employment Non-Discrimination Act:
ENDA would prohibit businesses from firing employees on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. (Add language specifying that we want a more inclusive version of ENDA than currently exists)
- Tyler Clementi Higher Education Anti-Harassment Act:
Would require colleges receiving federal student aid to enact an anti-harassment policy that prohibit harassment of enrolled students by other students, faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.
- Overturn the military’s ban on transgender Americans serving in the armed forces.
- Comprehensive immigration reform that includes a path to citizenship.
- HB 2451 (Regarding sexual orientation change efforts):
Prohibits licensed medical professionals from administering reparative therapy on minors.
- Change Women & Minority Owned Business designation to include LGBT owned businesses.
- HB 1413 (Voting Rights Act for Washington State):
Prohibits district based or at-large elections from being imposed on a locality in a manner that would deny everyone an equal opportunity to elect candidates or influence the manner of an election.
- Creation of a Washington State LGBT Issues Commission.
- New transportation funding package that includes match funding for the STA Central City Line, additional local funding options and rail safety issues.
- Fully fund K-12 education and align educational priorities with high demand industries.
- WSU Medical School Start Up Funds.
- HB 2286 (Funding an increase in the B&O tax credit for small businesses):
Increases the business and occupation tax credit for small businesses by repealing agricultural tax exemptions that primarily benefits large, corporate farms.